The name “Cardiff University Rowing Club” originated in 1999 when Cardiff University became separated from the University of South Wales, attaining the right to award its own degrees to students. Before this date, the club was titled “University College Cardiff Rowing Club”, a joint organisation between the University of Wales College of Medicine and University of Wales Institute of Science and Technology. With the many evolutions of the university, a definite date of establishment is difficult to determine, with some accounts stating that the club made its debut in 1956. Before it became the club that we are all familiar with, CURC was previously based at Llandaff Rowing Club on the River Taff, where the members donned blue and green as club colours. In the wake of the University merger and the formation of Cardiff University as an independent institute, the club colours were altered to red, black and white, and the name to that which is featured on our kit. CURC training facilities moved further down the river from Llandaff Rowing Club to Channel View Watersports Centre in 2006, where CURC still train to this day, who provided a longer expanse of river and a larger amount of space for the fleet of boats.
A highlight of our racing season is the Welsh Boat Race versus Swansea University. Established 10 years ago in 2006, it falls in line with the Varsity sports competition between the universities and consists of 4 races, one for each squad. Alternately held on a 2000m stretch of our home river and Swansea’s River Tawe, Cardiff University have dominated the Senior Women’s race for an impressive 10 years running, and the Senior Men hold the majority of 6 wins against our rivals. Other notable successes for our Alumni include winning at Henley Women's Regatta, BUCS Regatta, Home Internationals Regatta, and many members being chosen to represent Wales and trial for GB.